Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Born This Way

I am not a big Lady Gaga fan, but there are songs of hers I enjoy. I find her interesting; sometimes I enjoy her avant garde-ness and sometimes I don't.  Either way, she does effect an emotional response in me and that is the nature of art.

I am a big fan of Glee.  A recent episode dealt with self love and, more significantly, self loathing. In the final song all the students wore t-shirts with words that they had used to negatively define them. The idea was to take what you hate about yourself and embrace that it is what makes you unique.  They sang the Lady Gaga song "Born This Way." Although it does seem to address homosexuality specifically, it is a great message about just being who you are, whoever or whatever that is.

I wondered what would be on my t-shirt.  I wear glasses, but that doesn't bother me. I have a prominent nose, and while it bothered me as a child, I don't dislike it now.  I am quirky, eccentric, sometimes inappropriate, loud, and a little twitchy. Of course I could be thinner, prettier, richer, etc... but do these things define me?

Finally I realized my biggest frustration with myself.  Ladies and gentlemen, my t-shirt of shame that I need to embrace is:

 What's on your t-shirt?

10 comments:

Raquel Byrnes said...

I think it should read, "PRE-Published" and I think you should wear it with pride.
Edge of Your Seat Romance

Kathleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathleen said...

Another great blog! Awesome video too! My shirt would probably say "SLOB" because I really wish I wasn't but I am. I can't find my car keys AGAIN! I can't find a pair of scissors or a roll of tape AGAIN! It's really annoying, but according to this idea, I should embrace it?! Thanks for giving me permission!

Omission said...

"Monocle Wearer"

Nicole said...

I agree with Raquel - pre published! Always focus on the outcome you desire :)
Re-edited vsn of The Arrival now up and just .99c for May ONLY

Jen said...

I LOVED this post, and the video was awesome! Thanks for posting it.

It reminds me of something I read a long time ago, about how French women are taught to play up their flaws and that's what makes them beautiful.

What would my shirt say?

Afraid of Success.

Sad. But true. But now that I've got it out there, I feel better :)

Have an awesome weekend!
Jen

Mojo said...

My T-shirt just says "Nerd," I think.

Lady Gaga fascinates me - she seems to me less like a pop singer, and more like a conceptual artist exploring what it's like to be a pop singer. There's something magnificently postmodern about her: "Born This Way" is like a capsule homage to Madonna's entire back-catalog, as well as being a quintessential bit of Gagaism.

BTW, I loved Puck's "I'm with Stoopid" shirt :-D

Erin Kane Spock said...

So many great comments!

You know, I found myself humming this song and it morphed itself into Madonna's "Express Yourself."

mary said...

"LOUD"

Susan Kane said...

I don't know...maybe

Too Introspective
What do you think??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...